BY: Neighbors’ Consejo|
We will start a new year soon, which invites us to leave 2022 in the past, learn from our mistakes and start over. Therefore, it is important to reflect on what we must let go in order to receive and then have better emotional wellbeing.
According to Psychology Today  , letting it go is important because the past is done, self-limiting beliefs prevent you from letting go, when you let go, you create space for something new to happen, your past Is not your identity, letting go is the cornerstone of change, etc. The Blog “When It’s Knot Forever  ” affirms that five major ways in which failure to let go can manifest itself exist:
- Stress: We tend to be even more stressed when things do not actually pan out and go the way we want.
- Feeling emotionally taxed about things that have happened, are happening, or could happen.
- Irritation or frustration with other people: When people do not behave in the way we would like them to, we typically react by feeling irritated or frustrated with them. The solution? Let them go…
- Struggling with loss or death: We need to face reality and learn to accept the impermanence of things to grow better at dealing with loss.
- Fear: We need to accept that change is the nature of life. We cannot alter that, and there is no point in fighting it. Doing so will only cause us to suffer.
“It can be difficult to let things go because they add in some way to the story we have created about ourselves. This can hold us back if we start to create and believe negative stories about ourselves  ”. For this reason, it is important that you make the decision to let go, even if it cost you, because this will only continue to affect your emotional wellbeing and what better time than the start of a new year to do so.
That is why in conclusion, Dillon Browne, Ph.D., recommended some tips for letting go :
- Create a positive mantra to counter the painful thoughts
- Create physical distance
- Do your own work
- Practice mindfulness
- Be gentle with yourself
- Allow the negative emotions to flow
- Accept that the other person may not apologize
- Engage in self-care
- Surround yourself with people who fill you up
- Give yourself permission to talk about it
- Give yourself permission to forgive
- Seek professional help
However, if even after these tips you need support in the process of learning to let go to improve your mental health, do not forget that all the professionals in Neighbors’ Consejo are ready to support you free.